If we have captured their acknowledgement, then we have at least some proof that it was seen.

Which, unfortunately, shows that the intent isn't for it to be useful, but to cover the company's backside. That's why I feel it is important for both UI/IxD and legal depts. to think about their T&Cs like any other design problem, starting with the intention of what they hope to achieve. Like I said, if it's just to cover the company legally, it's irrelevant whether people read or see them or not - you might as well have a black box "agree to whatever is in here" before you can continue.

It's a real problem that starts way outside the designers or the company. For my part I feel a service design approach to the entire experience is in order to really re-think the process.

Best,

Andy

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Andy Polaine

Research | Writing | Strategy
Interaction Concept Design
Education Futures