Twitter is fantastic if you are moving to a new country! I'm moving
to New Zealand 11/12/08 and it's been invaluable connecting with my
fellow web designers and interaction designers.

I've met two recruiters there as well, one of which has gotten me to
the 2nd interview at a company that has a huge focus in Interaction
Design (Alan Cooper style) and I've learned tons preparing for thes
interviews.

Twitter, like the internet, is what you make it. You can find crap,
for sure, but befriend people who interest you and you can open up
new avenues quickly.