When I had a 6x9 Wacom tab, I had it where I'd place my mouse. I used
it almost exclusively and almost never used my mouse anymore -- the
level of fine-grain control you get with the tablet blows the mouse
out of the water.

As far as the awkwardness, yeah, you'll have that at first. I also
draw and sketch -- once you learn look at the screen and not think
about your hand not being in the location you're making the mark,
things will click for you. I can now draw just as well on the screen
as I do in a sketch pad. Once you get acclimated to the tablet, I'm
pretty sure you'll never go back to using a mouse...

If you're an artist, I recommend getting Corel Painter -- the brush,
surface and paint effects engines blow away what you get in
Photoshop... but there's a learning curve with Painter, too,
especially if you've been using Photoshop for years.