My initial thought of the site was, fancy but utterly useless. Then,
after reading the previous posts in this thread, I realised that the
author of the site had done (nearly) everything the way it should be
done.

Let's apply some quick and dirty JJ Garret to his site

The strategy plane:
Site objectives: Sell me in order to bring in more work
User needs: Determine how good I am.

The scope plane:
Must present what I have done in the past and that I can apply
various techniques of flash

The structure plane:
The interaction design might not be great related to "regular"
sites, but he as already defined the site as a show-case for what he
is capable of, thus it requires a different approach to interaction
design than regular sites.
Information Architecture: There is not much information, but what is
important is available right at the start (after a lengthy intro that
is).

Skeleton plane:
On the first screen the most important elements are ordered in a way
that makes them easy to find and click.

Visual plane:
The playfull UI elements underlines the fact that this is not a
regular site and changes the expectations of the users and opens
theri minds for alternative experiences.

Andreas