Hi Michael, et al,

I helped formalize persona creation methods while I was at Cooper,
and I recently spoke on the subject of some common persona
misconceptions with a current Cooperista, Steve Calde. Please see
http://www.devise.com/further_reading and look to the bottom of the
page for an embedded version of our "Death to Personas! Long Live
Personas!" presentation.

But I sure wish you'd posted your concerns about personas before
that presentation was authored, as the three you raise make for
interesting topics of discussion. :)

It seems to me that what's missing most here is a grounding in their
formal practice. (For that, we can all look forward to Kim Goodwin's
upcoming book!) But here goes a quick pass at addressing your
concerns, especially the first one which nobody's really targeted
yet in this thread:

1) Frankenstein. The persona creation methodology does not involve
one "combin[ing] the various data points into some mock person".
Instead, each individual's characteristics are mapped against
specific dimensions of interest discovered during field research
(ideally!!). Then you'll do it again for another dimension, and
another and another. For example... if a key dimension of interest is
tech-savviness, you'll map the place of individuals A, B and C on
that spectrum, and then you'll map their place against another
dimension of interest such as concern-about-security. And then
you'll see what kind of pattern has developed by (for example)
seeing that B & C are both tech-savvy and unconcerned about security
and are also grouped on a variety of other dimensions. And A is an
outlier who's not tech-savvy and is concerned about security, and
also isolated on a variety of other dimensions. Voila, you have
identified two separate user archetypes, one fed by B&C data and the
other by A (this being a simplified example, of course); they are
proto-personas who represent patterns in your research data. They are
not an artificial combination of disparate body parts, to refer back
to your proposed monster. ;)

2) Efficiency. How efficient is it to share a bunch of numerical data
points, versus how much more efficient is it to map those data points
onto a consolidated graph? The unification of research patterns into
a single, narrative user archetype is fundamentally an efficient
method to model one's ethnographically-inspired research. It's
similar to making graphical models of complex workflows, or diagrams
of contexts of use. Models are inherently more efficient than
discursive texts or indexes of findings. The narrative form of a
persona description can be taken too far, however, and this is a
problem discussed in our presentation. Overly biographical and
life-goal-oriented personas can be distracting and are indeed
inefficient for teams to consume. It takes some practice to find the
right level at which to document personas, and often for me still
involves fine-tuning for the audience at hand.

3) Variability. Hopefully my quick elucidation about the original
persona creation methodology helps you to see that the mapping of
individuals to dimensions of interest is a relatively scientific
method. There are occasional disagreements in the research team about
where to place an individual on the scale of a dimension, but such
disagreements tend to be resolved quickly and usually indicate there
are multiple dimensions of interest in that one area. And having
taught the Cooper U Interaction Design Practicum course, I can attest
that different classrooms filled with fresh attendees have no problem
with repeatedly mapping and identifying the archetypes originally
discovered in the research data.

I look forward to learning more about the relationship between
validity vs. reliability from that document Josh sent around. This
morning I did quickly peruse the Chapman-Milham Personas piece. It's
probably statistically true that "as features are added, the overall
probability of a composite decreases". That's why it's utterly
crucial that personas be created and then utilized within a specific
domain -- one should not re-purpose personas from a research
conducted around virus software, for example, to a design problem on
cloud computing; to do so would expand and re-consider their
characteristics using fiction, not fact. As for their repeated points
about it being "unclear about what data underlies these""
personas...well, yeah, that's what you get when you write an
academically-inclined paper far removed from the research & design
process. ;) The data was there for the team to use but it generally
isn't passed along to the client. Still, I think their proposals for
future research are excellent; and to their first suggestion, about
creating a set of customer data and giving it to independent teams --
that's what I've seen done at Cooper U with repeated validity.

Personas are not any kind of be-all end-all method, so don't
misconstrue my points. They can, however, be a powerful tool in a
designer's toolkit. And it's essential to remember that no design
process stops with personas...they are a most helpful input to a
scenario-based approach to design. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Liz

Vice-President, IxDA
CDO, Devise