>From William Brall
> I disagree with #5. Picking controls is VERY important.

<snip - example>
> I'd say any book worth its salt about form design would answer this
> question for an online form, and thus a paper one.

(Aside: sorry that the formatting of my previous email on this subject came
out so badly)

We do have a whole chapter on picking form controls, chapter 5.

It's just that the original post asked for material on paper forms, and I
felt that the chapter wouldn't be useful for paper forms. There are
different considerations for designing the boxes that people write into
compared to the controls that they interact with online. One day, I'll get
around to writing something on choosing response spaces on paper but I
haven't yet done so.

As it happens, this chapter in the book is very much based on the paper that
I wrote with Sarah Allen Miller called 'Should I use a dropdown?'. The paper
is available at: http://www.formsthatwork.com/articlespapers/dropdown.asp

During the editing process, the acknowledgement of Sarah's contribution to
the book chapter got overlooked and I'm glad to be able to remedy this now.

Hope this helps
Caroline Jarrett