Rob,

I sense you question isn't fully answered regarding paper forms, so
I will offer a good, if difficult, recommendation.

The best discussion I've seen of paper forms in is the Style Manual
6th edition of the Commonwealth of Australia, published by John Wiley
Australia  ISBN 0-7016-3648-3.

The chapter on forms (chapter 20) is only 15 pages, but is very
modern in its discussion of user centered approaches and graphic
treatments.  I understand that David Sless, an Aussie who is a major
researcher of forms, contributed to the chapter.  (I am guessing
Caroline Jarret would approve??)

Unfortunately, the books isn't widely sold outside Australia (I
bought mine while living in New Zealand.)  It is an example of
wonderful book that isn't available globally (so much for the global
village).  It covers all kinds of graphic design issues with
sensibility.

Sorry to offer a recommendation that isn't easy to get, but if you
are motivated, you might find the effort worthwhile.

Michael Andrews