Maybe the article wasn't about IxDers changing all aspects of
society. It's just that the article didn't read that way, so I was
going off of what I read.

I agree that "IxDers - when they are empowered to do so, should
consider knowledge and understanding from these fields related to
social pysch and behavioral economics to guide and shape, perhaps
even to influence positive outcomes but only within the context of
the product, service, solution they are actually designing." But I
also think that no matter how much I believe in a cause, I cannot
force anyone to do something they don't want to do. Period.

Maybe a good example for the article could have been the use of
"micro-" donations for the 2008 election, (assuming anyone wanted
to participate in the 2008 election in the first place). I agree with
the example of reputation systems, too, but that also assumes that
people want to actively contribute positively to their community.

I also see that many people reading this list have a personal passion
for sustainability (or some other social issue), and that's fine but
it shouldn't necessarily require that everyone else in the
profession feel the same way. So, maybe the entire IxD profession
isn't currently doing much now to address sustainable issues, for
instance. But does it really needs to? Because, whether or not it
does shouldn't stop individuals from expressing themselves when they
can and it's appropriate.