Dan, are you saying that there is no repeatable process involved in
interaction design?

The scientific method, if that's what you meant by "science", can
be repeatedly applied to help explain many occurances in nature, such
as gravity or magnetism, or the lifecycle of a star vs the lifecycle
of a banana tree. The scientific process is the same, but the
outcomes are different, just as (I think) it happens in interaction
design.

As for the banana vs human argument, perhaps we were designed to eat
bananas - not bananas were designed to be eaten by us....