Jared,

So just after you have got everybody reading about Activity Theory, now you
are getting them to read up about Functionalism :-) So we now have as basis
of design. UCD, SCD, ACD, and now FCD.

Functionalism is an interesting an idea to use for design. see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functionalism_(sociology)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functionalism_%28sociology%29>and
I believe it could be a good time to revisit it. Functionalism went
out
of fashion in the 70's because it was viewed as a method that was not
predictive. Functionalism should be a faster method to use compared to
Grounded Theory, if its limitations can be overcome. Malinowski (one of the
founders of Ethnography) used it to analyse his Ethnography of the Trobriand
Islanders. The interesting point with Malinowski and functionalism is that
Malinowski viewed Anthropology as the study of how people related to each
other with objects. The object could be a church, or a fetish, or even a
table. It would be interesting if we look at how his methods could be
related to a computer, or even a virtual object such as software.

I like your idea of using functional Persona, as it then should be easier to
validate against real people. My argument before that Persona is not a valid
method as there is no way to validate if a persona reflects a real person
applies to design-project-wide personas, and may not apply to Functional
Level Personas. This is because the scenarios can be tested if they are real
or not, even if the Personas can't.

It would be useful if you could share some of your scenarios and Personas so
we can try testing the design of them theoretically, and see if they
overcome the challenges with project-wide personas, which I think by your
brief description of them they do.

James