Will, it is never about absolutes, but about critical mass. There will
always be people who excel outside the directed path, but I'll take
100 years of education history that has gone through several
generations of critique to (still) evolve into what it has achieved
today towards creating designers, and use THAT as my model for
creating design education than blow it up and start from scratch due
to and i'll be blunt here: laziness, impatience, free market
bullshit and lack of passion.

1. if you don't have it in your neck of the woods, stop looking for
hacks, and build it or move. This is EXACTLY what China has done.
They saw that being a manufacturing giant left them exposed and what
did they do, put out a mission to have 400 design schools within the
near future.

2. Find REAL alternatives. When formal education doesn't make sense,
maybe it means you have to take a few steps backwards in your career
to move forward. This is a model that many people including myself
have done. I left the comfort of 2D design to work in an industrial
design studio and the last 2 years were better than going to
conferences, reading and remote learning for sure. Find your
alternatives and don't be afraid to move backwards for a spell.

To the educators. Don't pretend.
Let's see the portfolios that come out of UK's hybrid program and
then decide. In the end the proof is in the pudding and the portfolio
quality is all that matters to future recruiters. I'm pessimistic of
the program's ability to really transform people into designers with
creative stamina that comes out of a 24/7 studio environment, but hey!
let's see what happens.

Employers/Recruiters:
Get real about your expectations and hiring practices. Is the paper
what you are looking for, or are you looking for great designers? Can
you create programs and practices that build designers inside your
current institutions? or are you just creating a carousel factory
that people come in young, leave and new people come in at senior
levels. What about building from within? this isn't just about
tuition re-imbursement, but about moving past stupid rigid corporate
policies around "$2k limits" for conferences, not creating in-house
libraries, and having rigid requirements for management positions to
have masters level education.

The reason I point to the employers is that b/c of these stale
philosophies educators really can't innovate correctly. they create
"remote" education b/c of the lack of available market to support
better and more practical education alternatives due to corporate
rigidness and short-sightedness.

Just sayin'

Last point, it all depends on what you want to be when you grow up.
If you want to work with other design disciplines studio as a
language will be important. It was soooo hard for me culturally to
fall into an ID studio and still I'm learning more teaching within
an ID department at SCAD. Leaving behind my more rational and
analytic thoughts and linguistic modes of constructing the world
around me is taxing and wonderous. This won't happen for you unless
you dive into a true design environment.

Very few of us are going to be great, just b/c we are. We have to
earn it, and we have to be open to change to reach for it.

-- dave