I've done this twice. Once to redesign a CRM system for a technical support
group and another time to design a content management application for
technical writers. Each time I basically joined the group for some time,
taking support calls or writing technical bulletins under the guidance of
the group's manager. I went to staff meetings and got good advice from my
coworkers. After I walked the walk for a while, I had a much better
understanding of what was important or not.

Both groups were very accepting of me and both projects were successful and
well-received.

In subsequent design projects I've tried to get similar experience, but the
domains generally didn't permit this. I'm also a big fan of participatory
design, where one or two real live users are on the design team - that's
worked well in projects too.

Michael Micheletti