I have been following the RED thread with great interest and pleasure, deciding not to step in this time -- but now I have to.

Regardless, on any given day, or any given project, a vastly experienced designer can be wrong a hundred times and an inexperienced designer can be
right a hundred times. Experience matters far less than judgment.

This comment is totally obscure to me.

In my view, judgment in a design situation is strongly informed by experience. - Experience from previous design work within the genre in question, by the designer him/herself as well as by others. - To some extent, experience also in adjacent genres (even though cross-genre transfer is not always straightforward). - Experience from observing related use situations, with their particular mixes of domain expertise, stakeholder tradeoffs and external forces.
- Experience with tools, techniques and materials to be used.
And so on.

Of course it *can* happen that a vastly experienced designer is wrong a hundred times and an inexperienced designer is right a hundred times on any given day. But it is highly unlikely. Chances are that the vastly experienced designer is right far more often than the inexperienced designer. And this, I believe, is one of the key underpinnings of the whole RED notion.

Also note that the difference in judgment ability cannot be bridged by systematic design methods. Methods may be useful tools for coordination and learning, but the outcome of a method is never better than the person using the method.

Jonas Löwgren