Thanks Jared (and yes I got the spelling wrong in my post).

I understand and concur with the matrix you've presented, and where
the greatest risk lies.

That's essentially why I point out the importance of gaining RED
experience (when a designer is inexperienced) by working closely with
more experienced designers.  I believe I even pre-emptively pointed
out the likelihood of failure if a designer bites off more than their
experience, judgement, and capabilities can chew.

And yet I'll point out again that it's important to reach at least
some point beyond ones' knowledge and experience in order to grow as
a designer.  The key is dependent upon another form of judgement, and
that's how much of a risk of the unknown to take.

To elaborate just a bit on how a RED practitioner knows what the
outcome will be, I think it clearly lies in having an understanding
of how wireframes and flows will come to life dynamically.  I and my
teammembers can visualize fairly complex interactions in our heads as
we pore over complex wireframes and flows.  A lot of this comes from
experience and familiarity, part of it comes from innate capabilities
of being able to do so.

There was also an earlier mention of talent (I assume this means
innate) and its role in being a successful RED practitioner.

It's been my observation working with many designers and
collaborators over the years that there are definitely some that have
the innate abilities to grasp and successfully wrangle the types of
complex, dynamic, and interrelated architectures that comprise
interaction design.  And some most definitely do not.  This is
separate from the equally important *temperment* quality, which I
also think is necessary.  RED can be intense, and that's one reason
it's not the type of work that every designer would care to pursue.

RED is often a lot like a high stakes game of chess, played on a
dynamic board and with and against multiple players/stakeholders.  It
definitely helps to have a head and stomach for that sort of thing.
And yet there are many who relish these challenges and successfully
pursue them.

To clarify Todd's question, the "Expert" applies first to
expertise as a RED practitioner and secondly to expertise in
particular application domains.  The ratio between the two will
likely vary between RED practitioners.  Some may stay primarily
within a particular domain and have great domain expertise, while
others' expertise may be in generalist practice of RED across many
domains.  And there are RED practitioners that fall in between.

Many are familiar with the term, "T-shaped" used to describe
practitioners who have broad generalist knowledge and experience
across a number of interdependent fields and roles and deeper
specialization in one area.

I've described a related type of designer - the "Broken
Comb-shaped" designer.  Picture a comb with its teeth broken
partially out in some areas, completely out in other areas, and fully
intact in others.  And then think about how all broken combs look a
little bit different from one another.

Experienced RED practitioners and generalist designers are often
broken combs-shaped.

They differ from actual broken combs however, in that rather than
pieces being broken off, they're actually growing them bit by bit
over their careers.  ;^)