I agree with everything (or just about everything) that's been said
or referenced.  I think, though, that the main purpose of a landing
page, from a user's perspective, is that it's a payoff page.  It
says to the user, "Oh, I've arrived somewhere." It is a temporary
respite from the transitional pages (or links) that got them there.
A home page, through the lens of this thinking, is a very special
landing page.  Business unit pages can be landing pages.  Special
pages associated with online campaigns are landing pages, too. This
gives a bit of direction to the design: how does one communicate,
through subtle or not-so-subtle page design, that "you have
arrived" ? It's this direction that has directed my designs.