Janna, there are no real rules in design as in any art - only guides,
and even then they can be ignored!

Some pitfalls that may eventuate from your stated approach:

"One compromise was to make the "small letters" at the beginning
of each word in a larger font. telling vs. telling"

I'm not a great fan as the larger lower case letter at the start of
the name will also have visually thicker lines which tend to grate
after a while.

"I'm also considering using periods between letters since the
letters are part of an acronym such as o.n.c.e. instead of "once".

The full points tend to draw the eye too much, taking some of the
impact away from the words.

Another think that can come back and bite you is making the logo all
CAPS (especially if it looks like a four letter acronym) and then
having you customers constantly bugging you for the full name. I did
that once - under the direction of a client - and in the end the
client made up an acronym to fit - a long winded one that defeated
the purpose of the catching four letter brand! (sigh)

My advice in the end is to make your logo unique, memorable, and look
equally good in black and white as it is in colour - it needs to work
anywhere and on anything. (And if you are wondering why you need it
in black and white when we all have inexpensive colour printers now
remember that most giveaways and show gifts still only allow for
one-colour screen printing of your brand.)