I think there are 2 things.
1) you are missing something. You are assuming that your masters in
science gave you everything you need to be ready to take on a masters
in design (IxD or otherwise). There are core elements of design that
you probably never learned formally that are hard to take on
informally.

2) Putting that aside for a moment, I think you are making a rash
assumption. YES! you have to show a portfolio. But if you've been
doing GUI work for awhile, then don't you have a portfolio. Most
grad programs in design will evaluate your portfolio and then assess
if you have potential in the program and if you do they will further
decide what "catch up" classes you'll need to take. Usually these
are sketching, 2D design, and the like. Sometimes, this pushes you
back a semester/quarter or a year or so.

When I was considering going for a masters in industrial design, I
was going to have to go through an entire extra year of what Pratt
called "foundation" before joining peers who either went through
that formal education experience as undergrads or provided proof of
expertise in their portfolio.

Now, let's go back to #1.
If I wanted to go to med school, no matter what I learned in my
undergrad or any other grad work, if I didn't have the basics of
O-Chem, P-Chem, PHysics, biology, etc. I will have to take it over
again to even apply. Many people go to community college already
having a strong degree in order to get these core required courses
completed if they want to go to med school.

The same is true for many design programs, especially the ones that
are masters in design or masters in fine arts (as opposed to masters
of arts).

The best thing for you to do is to contact the schools you are
interested in and do an information interview with the chair/co-chair
or other faculty in the department you are interested in.

Another option is to go into an HCI program that has options around
strong design electives. CMU and Indiana seem to have that capability
as does Michigan and Baltimore.

Many of the industrial design grad students I've met so far here at
SCAD do not necessarily have a design background. Many are from
mechanical engineering. But those from that background do have to
take preliminary coursework in design to achieve the level of
competence in craft and critical design thinking that their peers got
doing this work as undergrads.

-- dave