I am writing to ask peoples experiences and opinions about using
platforms such as flickr, youtube, blogspot etc for doing user
research, e.g having people create photo or video diaries on these
platforms or participate in remote user research via blogs.

Specifically I am interested in the ethics of storing data on these
kinds of spaces in terms of ownership and safety of data. In return
for being free, most of these platforms do retain some rights over
your data (some more than others as we have recently experienced).
It has always been my concern that by using any of these spaces there
is risk around not being able to guarantee the safety or privacy of
this data, which is often a prerequisite to user research. (Not all
research needs to be framed like this of course). I am interested in
how other practitioners approach this in the context of user
research.

In some studies I have been involved in we have specifically used
Wordpress so that we could host the data ourselves, but in other
cases we have used platforms such as Facebook but made very clear in
the consent forms the risk associated with posting data there.

While there are numerous publications that document the use of media
platforms in user research very few (that I have come across anyway)
mention the ethics of selecting the platforms they use, or issues
relating to storage, copyrights and safety of data.

I would love to hear other peoples experiences and opinions about
this.

What kinds of platforms are people on this list using, and how are
you justifying or rationalising this aspect of the method ?

Thanks in advance
Penny