>From Francis:
>
> I'm currently studying IxD at undergraduate level
> with the Open University
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01M364)
<snip>

> The OU doesn't offer an entire first degree in IxD
> in the way you propose,
> but includes my current course
> as an optional or required component in
> a number of degrees, such as "Computing and Design".

The Open University offers two courses:

- M364 Interaction Design, which is a 3rd level undergraduate course based
on the textbook 'Interaction Design' by Sharp, Rogers and Preece

- M873 User Interface Design and Evaluation, which is a postgraduate course
and from which the textbook 'User Interface Design and Evaluation' was later
created. (Declaration of interest: I was an author of the course and the
subsequent textbook, but I got a flat fee - if you register, it gives me a
warm feeling but no royalties)

In fact, there's not a huge gap in level between these two courses. M364 is
more theoretical; M873 is more aimed at practitioners, and its objective is
to turn you into a 'beginner usability expert' as one of my students so
memorably put it.

Despite the different titles, I'd say that the subject matter is much the
same.

M364 can count towards a wide range of undergrad degrees; M873 can count
towards some postgrad diplomas and you could add a dissertation to get a
masters'. However, you'd be doing a lot of courses that aren't all that
relevant to user experience.

In the past, Whitney Quesenbery and I have speculated about putting together
a 'diy' masters-equivalent programme at the OU by studying a selection of
their courses like this:

M873 User Interface Design and Evaluation
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01M873

D844 Ethonography
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01D844

M865 Project Management
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01M865

D840 Introduction to research: basic skills and survey methods
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01DT840

and the courses required for the Certificate in Web Applications Development
http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01C39

A programme like this would give you a pretty good background but
unfortunately wouldn't actually give you a specific qualification (apart
from the Certificate).

If you did want to try it, sign up soon: it looks like the last presentation
of M873 will be in May of this year.

Best
Caroline Jarrett