Hi,

I wanted to post a brief update on the status of the IxDA Education
Initiatives, and invite you to get involved with our work.

We've targeted three main areas for progressive development this year.
Within each area, we have groups investigating a number of sub-initiatives,
with the intention of producing something actionable by May 1st of this
year. The details are listed below; if you would like to get involved,
please send me a message off-list specifying which specific sub-initiative
you are interested in and I would be happy to invite you to our basecamp
projects.

==

Awareness initiative. The goal of this initiative is to develop awareness
about IxDA as a potential career path among two key groups: a) K-12
teachers, students, parents and guidance councilors, and b) Undergraduate
faculty and students in programs related to interaction design.
Sub-initiatives include:

1. Common person interaction design description. Develop a set of materials
that describe, through words, diagrams, pictures, and other elements, what
interaction design is to the "common person" - someone who isn't necessarily
trained in design, art, computer science, psychology, or any related
discipline.
2. Education workshop material. Develop a set of exercises and content aimed
at 9th and 10th grade students, in an effort to introduce them to
interaction design fundamentals and generate interest and enthusiasm in this
as a professional direction to pursue.
3. Capability and aptitude assessment. Develop a set of characteristics
(capabilities and aptitudes) that can be used to identify when someone might
make a good interaction designer. Can be used as self assessment, or by
guidance councilors.

*

Curriculum initiative. The goal of this initiative is to create a useful
repository of curricula structure, lecture content, reading material, and
other artifacts that, collectively, illustrate best practices for higher
education of Interaction Designers and encourage the development of new
interaction design programs. Sub-initiatives include:

1. Program audit. Identify and aggregate into a spreadsheet the various
course, program, class, seminar, and other content in existence related to
Interaction Design. A spreadsheet has been started; this will be an
extension of that work, fleshing out the details of the various programs
offered by colleges and universities.
2. Alumni. Locate alumni in the Interaction Design community from the IxD
programs and courses in existence, identifying key point people that can be
contacted for information about their experience at a given program.
3. Program mapping criteria. Identify criteria that will be useful for
developing an ecosystem map of all existing programs. [this initiative is
not actually to produce the map - just to explore criteria that will help
people understand the data].

*

Mentorship initiative. The goal of this initiative is to create an organic
system of mentors who are willing to work with community members, on a
one-on-one basis, to help nurture and develop expertise in a specific area
of Interaction Design. Sub-initiatives include:

1. Mentorship, short-term. Identify a mentorship program format that IxDA
can implement in the next few months with little to no IT infrastructure.
How would it work? What would it be like?
2. Identify Precedents. Document mentorship programs that have worked in
other disciplines (design, art, or other communities). How were they
structured? What made them work?
3. Identify Mentorship Traits. Identify the attributes that can help match a
mentor with a mentee. What questions and answers would show up on a survey
in order to successfully create a strong relationship?
4. Face to Face Mechanism. Create and develop a way to get IxDA people face
to face, in order to best establish a mentorship program in real life. What
are the incentives to get people to volunteer their time? What are the
reasons people will turn to this community for help?

==

Thanks,

JK
--