"Interaction design" is a useful fuzzy abstraction, much like "Information
Architecture" or even "Design". Useful in the sense that:

   - it allows people who do somewhat overlapping similar stuff to get
   together around this title and discuss things, ie. it allows groups to form.
   - it allows these people to communicate to non-members of this group that
   they're needed (note I didn't say what for).
   - and there's more, but gotta run

Note you'll never agree on a definition, just like (but worse than) you'll
never agree on the definition of "Christian".

Peter

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Dan Saffer <d...@odannyboy.com> wrote:

> I'm stunned no one has commented on this Core77 article yet:
>
> <
> http://www.coroflot.com/creativeseeds/2009/03/five_things_interaction_design.asp
> >

> "I went to Interaction09 in Vancouver with an intense personal mission to
> nail down a clear definition of Interaction Designer, and what abilities are
> needed in order to be one. Almost every time I asked (and I asked a lot of
> times), the answer was "I have no idea." Which is funny, because several
> hundred people with that title gathered together in rooms every day of the
> conference to agree that the work they were doing was necessary, and worthy
> of attention and responsibility (much as people do at any other professional
> conference).
>
> Playing devil's advocate, this raises the Wizard of Oz question: are they
> really doing something new, unique, and especially useful, once you pull
> back the curtain? Or are Interaction Designers merely the beneficiaries of a
> fad, like so many mediocre Seattle bands that got snapped up by labels in
> the early 90s, by virtue of where they happened to live (I'm talking to you,
> Candlebox)? It's easy to read things like the IxDA website's definition of
> the field with a cynical eye, and conclude that intentional obfuscation is
> part of the profession's appeal:
>
>    Interaction design (IxD) is a professional discipline that illuminates
>    the relationship between people and the interactive products they use.
>    While interaction design has a firm foundation in the theory, practice,
>    and methodology of traditional design, its focus is on defining the
>    complex dialogues that occur between people and interactive devices of
>    many types -- from computers to mobile communications devices to
>    appliances.
>
> Ah, they define complex dialogues. Got it. About time someone started doing
> that."
>

> Another piece of what I would consider bad PR for our profession.
>

> Dan

me: http://petervandijck.com
blog: http://poorbuthappy.com/ease/
global UX consulting: http://290s.com