On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:43 AM, dave malouf <dave....@gmail.com> wrote:
> All I got to say about the PR issue is GO For it!!!
>
> It is important on so many fronts. I just don't think you can do it
> w/o a clearly messaged consensus of who we are.
>
> The definition of a rose is embedded in the reality of its existence,
> so its "name" will never change its sweetness. The definition of
> love while more difficult has a ubiquitous ephemeral quality of "I
> know it, when I experience it" that requires no hard definition.
>
> IxD is neither of these. It is completely intangible and completely
> dependent on others. This makes for a VERY difficult thing to
> communicate in a way that many can understand.
>
> I'd still love to put some cycles on a contest idea I had awhile
> back that could be connected to the/a conference. I'd love to ask
> students and practitioners to "use interaction design to define
> interaction design".
>
> As David Cronin tweeted a couple of days ago, "Design is what design
> does." http://twitter.com/davcron/status/1368548073
>
> So lets do just that. I know my students would already love to be
> engaged in it.
>
> -- dave

I sincerely appreciate that this thread has been moving in the direction
of calls to action, as much as I enjoy theorycraft.

The contest/exhibition ideas sounds very "this thing we have here", as
most visual definitions I've ever seen for IxD ( as well as UX, IA,
et.al) involves
overlapping circles and moving regions - both within a particular
media, industry
and conceptual area and between them.  While contest does imply competition,
I think it's safe to say it could be shaped to be non-zero-sum, as I'm sure any
aspect of any defining and angle on PR would be, at best, "most suited for this
situation or product" - and who better to depict moving targets and convey
abstract ideas in a visual medium than those who would put themselves under this
IxD umbrella.

Pollyannaishly yours,
Scott
--
"I have mad skills at doing spazzy things." - Janiene West