Greg it is really hard to answer this, b/c it really depends on your
perspective, the culture of your team, and your existing relationship
of your team to any other tools.

I would say that both environments have a bit to go before they are
fully baked, but then again so does Java and other mature
alternatives.

Also, I think you are saying Silverlight when you mean WPF/.NET 3.5.
Silverlight is to Flash what AIR is to .NET 3.5 (so to speak) in so
far as Silverlight is really about being inside the browser and is a
limited subset of functionality than you get with full WPF/.NET 3.5.
>From the ground up there is so much in WPF that make it much better
as a technology for doing full screen, multi-layered complex
applications. But it WPF does create limitations that are not in .NET
3.5 by itself, but w/o WPF you really can't take advantage of the
other end of the spectrum that I think you want to consider which is
the designer environment:

AIR is a developer environment of Flex Builder and a designer
environment of either Flash or Flash Catalyst (coming to a theatre
near you).

.NET 3.5/WPF has Visual Studio for the developer and idealing
Expression Studio for the designer (but said designer better have
some solid coding chops to really make it useful). I.e. I still have
not seen a designer do with Expression what I've seen designers do
for a good decade with Flash.

That being said, I've seen parity in coding output from both Flex
Builder and Visual Studio.

If you want to build a desktop operating system that replaces the
existing one (man! who wouldn't) and it has to be cross platform,
you really have no choice but to use AIR if you want to be outside
the browser.

I forget, but I'm pretty sure that AIR has many of the same sandbox
protocols as Flash even though it is outside of the browser. This may
prevent you from easily doing things at the desktop level that you
might assume.

Java from what I've seen is the only cross-platform distribution
that allows you outside the browser give the user the option to allow
you the full robust feature set of an installed desktop application.
Of course, maybe you don't need that, but if you are trying to
emulate an OS you just might.

Oy! this just gets really complicated!! And I'm sure I'm butchering
it to death and others are going to save me from myself.

Good luck Greg!

-- dave