http://www.att.com uses this navigation method as well and they call
it a "link farm"

I agree with Jared in his questioning of the investment.

I think these "link farms" are actually a way to appease the
business people who want their links on the front page.

Its a way for designers to clean up the site above the fold and
relegate the plethora of links the business wants.

I think the trend has an unintended benefit for accessibility and
mobile platforms.  The link farm is at the bottom so it is a somewhat
unobtrusive way to provide a site map without having to do a lot of
navigation.

Another motive for the link farm (at least at att.com) is & key word
density for search engine optimization.