Help functionality is a recurring point of contention in nearly every
project I work on. I do Voice UX design, and very often our products
are used in-car where users can't or shouldn't be looking at a
screen for cues. Our big hurdle is helping users know what features
are voice-enabled, and what vocabulary they can use.
Context-sensitive help can be helpful for this.
But I regularly hear "users don't use help," and I'd like to know
how true that is. Does anyone know of any resources/studies on how
likely it is that a user will seek help from a system?