Lots of stuff on how to write & design help. As Jared said, technical
communicators have been doing this work for years...and also
struggling with the question, "Does anyone use help?" Indeed,
writing and designing online help systems helped me move from tech
writing to UI design to HCI/IA/IxD to UX design.

You can test help, and you can do it contextually. I've done tasks
designed to see where people go to find information--do they sleect
help icons, menu items, tool tips...or do they reach for a paper
manual?

In addition to WritersUA (http://www.writersua.com/), check out the
technical writers' mailing list:

        http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l

JoAnn Hackos wrote Standards of Online Communication
(http://bit.ly/tCZot) that's older but still good. Same with Bill
Horton's "Designing and Writing Online Documentation."
http://bit.ly/4On4q

Mike Hughes is writing a column on UA for UXMatters.com:
http://uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2008/05/user-assistance-writing-for-a-high-context-culture.php

Yet the design of  help features and content doesn't differ from
other things you deliver, in that you have to know the user, their
context, and what they expect/need/want.In some cases, you might want
to design help that fades away after the user successfully does more
stuff with your product. Or you might find that having first-time
help wizards work better.

Best,

joe