I did user assistance for 15 years before I switched to focusing on
information architecture and usability. What is obvious to me from
both the research (which exists but is limited compared to may other
topics) is that the more the assistance is in the interface (labels,
examples in fields, little popups or expanding notes, and such) the
more people succeed in tasks and the less they want to look at an
independent Help page or application.

FAQ, in fact, are not a standard for good user assistance. As someone
mentioned last week at the STC conference, FAQ are not really the most
asked questions, they are the questions the site has an answer for.

Many people working on the Web do not appear to design the user
assistance into the site; they tack it on at the end. Help that is
accessed only by opening a new page in the same browser window, a new
browser window, or a new tab, are making it very difficult for users
to continue doing the task at the same time they are looking at the
Help. There is a reason that desktop applications open Help in a
separate window that the user can resize, reposition, and so on.

Even the Help authoring tool companies, such as Adobe RoboHelp, do
little to allow you to integrate user assistance into the actual page
where it is needed or make it usable alongside the page a user seeks
help with.

Good user assistance, like a good application, requires people with
expertise not only writing, but in information architecture (online
Help was very close to being the first hypertext environments
requiring what we now call information architecture) and interaction
design. It has to be part of the initial planning and design of a
site, not a last minute add-on.

Anyone who wants to know the value of embedded user assistance
(incorporated into the UI) should read Trevor Grayling's May 1999
report on usability studies of an app with embedded Help and without
it, in Technical Communications, which is available on Ingenta,
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/stc/tc?originator=stc&identity=id22521367&timestamp=20090511213425&signature=d7dca185bc7326477ec5fd7a92e62c7b.
There is also a special issue of TechComm from Feb 2001 on embedded
Help. STC members have free access to all content. Non-members pay a
$10 fee per article.

There is also information at the Web site of the Usability and User
Experience community of STC, of which I am the current manager.
www.stcsig.org/usability  Look particularly in the Bookshelf and
Topics in Usability. Some is dated, but good nonetheless.

WritersUA, http://www.writersua.com/rescontr.htm also has list of
consultants who specialize in help design and implement effective help
systems for desktop or Web.

--
Mary Deaton
Manager, STC Usability and User Experience Community,