I'm going to just agree with Peter (and Todd's early statement). The
business model is a fundamental component that is difficult to separate out.
It can be, but you start to really fragment the design of your offering.

I think Andrei was simply asking us to look beyond the business model -
which he recognised contained some contentious choices - to the parts of the
software design that are most central to the discussions generally
undertaken on this list and the work of the people on it.

The business model is not the exclusive domain of "MBA types" - and there's
a stereotype that needs quashing - but an integrated consideration for the
entire design process.

Steve

2009/6/19 Peter Merholz <pete...@peterme.com>

> On Jun 18, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Vishal Iyer wrote:
>
>  Business model is most definitely *not* a part of design
>>

> Wow. This statement made me choke on my ale (I'm in London).
>
> Business model is definitely part of the customer experience, as Jeff Bezos
> so admirably pointed out:
> http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_09/b4121034637296.htm
> ""Internally, customer service is a component of customer experience," he
> says. "Customer experience includes having the lowest price, having the
> fastest delivery, having it reliable enough so that you don't need to
> contact [anyone]. Then you save customer service for those truly unusual
> situations. You know, I got my book and it's missing pages 47 through 58,"
> he says, breaking into a booming laugh."
>
> Business model is very much the success of iPod -- the chain of services
> that allow you to easily acquire music and get it on your player.
>
> Business model is the thing thwarting Tivo's success, no matter how
> brilliant it's user interface design.
>
> We as designers have a lot to contribute toward thinking through business
> model implications.
>
> --peter

Steve 'Doc' Baty | Principal | Meld Consulting | P: +61 417 061 292 | E:
steveb...@meld.com.au | Twitter: docbaty | Skype: steve_baty | LinkedIn:
www.linkedin.com/in/stevebaty

Director, IxDA - ixda.org
Editor: Johnny Holland - johnnyholland.org
Contributor: UXMatters - www.uxmatters.com
UX Australia: 26-28 August, http://uxaustralia.com.au
UX Book Club: http://uxbookclub.org/ - Read, discuss, connect.
Blog: http://meld.com.au/blog