I think you will see a new type of workforce emerging that joins
together the left and right brain teams to engage is cross
disciplinary functions. Most companies are now looking for MFA/MBA
types because there are already enough finance MBA types on the
market. The scarcity of creative MBA's is abundant.

The key thing for a designer to learn is what kinds of questions do
they need to ask in order to add value to the business model.
Sometimes models are so interconnected and interdependent that its
hard to see all the parts since a designer does not get to see all
that many times.  However, sometimes the designer is involved in
reviewing business process design and that can tell you a lot about
the business model. Designers do need to understand the mechanics of
a value chain to add value to it but they don't have to be know how
to invent them. I think a creative person can learn to provoke the
mba type to think about new ways which can lead to a lot of value. 2
minds are always better than one.  I think you will find most
business people happy to discuss a business model but be careful how
you approach giving input until you've earned respect in giving
advice in this area or they will dismiss your ideas.

The is business modeling and a business model. They are not the same
thing. Business modeling is the actual business processes of how
everything works in action while the business model is just the flow
or overview of it all as a way to view it at a distance.

UI people can add a lot of value to business modeling part because
its about FLOW and experiences during that flow. They can really help
out a lot in diagramming visually so people can really grasp how it
all comes together and works. Information architecture can really add
great value here.

hope that helps.

steven diebold
http://www.ideaintoaction.com