Has anybody actually done some research into how many people it effects?
I find most times I type a wrong password it is not because of a typo,
but because it is the wrong password. Masking/Unmasking will not help here.
 For example typing my Twitter password into Gmail, or my Gmail password
into Twitter.

When I enter passwords I am doing it as a reaction. I don't know if a am
actually looking at the screen.

One solution for non hidden passwords could be only asking people for
two random nth characters of their password. That way anybody looking over
the shoulder would only get two of the characters of password. If you get
the characters wrong then the system would ask for another two random
characters.
As long as the password includes Upper, lower and punctuation characters. It
would be secure. Personally I hate using the approach above.

But as I said above, I don't think anybody knows if this is a real issue or
not. And as somebody who used a Internet Cafe at 1 am because I was locked
out of an apartment, I appreciate having the mask.

All the best

James
http://blog.feralabs.com