Hey Jared,
I don't mean to imply that building two-way communication features
is a requirement for every mobile application, only that when
designing the app you have to take into account the context of the
platform from the user's perspective.  It's about starting from the
user's "mental model" rather than thinking "how can I transfer
this web interface into a mobile app."  This is the same faulty
thinking that led a lot of Web 1.0 designers to design their
commercial websites based on direct mail campaigns or brochures.