I appreciate the question and the answers already provided.
I would find a champion within the organization. A design is being
created towards the reaching of a goal, e.g., increased market share,
repeat customers, sales, shareholder value, or decreased costs.  There
is a historic reason that the design is being created or changed that
prompts the project.  Follow the money.

All other things being equal (they never are), I would do some user
testing of a prototype with 2-4 representative users.  Then I would
use the results of that testing to argue for using 10% of the total
budget for more research and testing.  I would also point out that
small changes can yield big results in the metrics listed above.

Josephine M. Giaimo, MS
User Experience Research Consultant
JG Interactive Designs

Voice: (732) 448-0021