It's an interesting question, and one I've been thinking about
myself a fair bit lately.

I currently am employed at a post-secondary institution, as a member
of a curriculum development group.

For our instructional designers, much of their work is spent
developing the Outcomes and Objectives for courses/programs (with
input from SMEs, driven by industry requirements), and then
determining what course materials (assessments, module content, and
media pieces) should go where. At this time, I do not believe the IDs
are engaged in doing research with students (much to some of our IDs
dismay), but rather relying on best practices and research done
elsewhere.

Once the IDs have determined where they want an activity or learning
object, and of what type (drag-and-drop matching? crossword puzzle?
interactive simulation? etc.) in consultation with the SME, the
project is handed over to a Media Developer (either a graphic artist
or programmer) to design, implement and build.

In our situation, we do not really do any formal "interaction
design"; we typically build pieces to whatever looks good to the
developer in question. A few of us are working towards being able to
perform research with our students, to ensure that the media pieces
we build are solid from an IxD perspective, but we're not quite
there yet :-)

That being said, the reason I have been thinking about the
relationship between IDs and IxDs is because I've been turning over
in my mind what the role of IxD would be in an environment like ours.
Is it the role of the ID to do the IxD? I don't think so.

As I see it, the IDs on our team are fantastic at planning and
structuring the course, its materials, assessments, outcomes and
objectives in a way that is pedagogically sound and beneficial for
the student.

My fellow media developers then build whatever the IDs and SMEs
believe will be beneficial to the student. But there is also a role
for IxD -- the translation of the IDs idea into a workable, usable,
and ultimately user-friendly media piece.

I believe that in this type of environment, the role of the
interaction designer is really a "student/user experience advocate"
-- working to ensure that the students receive the benefit of the
instructional design which has come before. The last thing we should
want is for our students to have to learn a difficult interface
before they can learn a difficult concept. And that's the problem
that IxD can solve, that I don't think that IDs really can (or would
want to).