All:

[Please excuse the self-promotion from a non-participating member.]

I'm offering two back-to-back Scrum Certified Product Owner courses during August. You can find more here: http://www.agileproductdesign.com/training/passionate_product_owner.html This class is useful for designers working in an agile and Scrum context.

My goal with these courses is to focus on building mental models and skills necessary for those working as product owners to be really good at what they're doing. Of course, like all trainers, this course carries my biases about what mental models and skills are most important. And for me those mental models and skills are rooted in design thinking and design practice.

I believe interaction designers make the strongest of Scrum Product Owners, and know many to back up that belief. (More here: http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/emerging_best_agile_ux_practice.html) And even if not the primary decision maker, IxDs are a critical part of healthy Product Ownership team. This course advocates for a team-based approach that includes designers and practices such as user research, design prototyping, and user validation.

For designers on this list, you won't learn to design - but to better facilitate design - to break down planning and design work in a way that works in an agile context.

For non-designers on the list, you'll learn the design thinking that will help you work more effectively with customers and users. You'll learn to abandon statements like "those users never know what they want" and replace them with some useful practice that helps you understand them and work effectively with them to get to what they need.

The first class is likely to be a bit rough - and is priced accordingly. ;-) I really want this CSPO course to be different than anything else you could find out there. And, it'll take a bit of iteration to make it good.

Please visit the writeup on the course, and I'd love your
feedback:http://www.agileproductdesign.com/training/passionate_product_owner.html

Thank you,

-Jeff
Jeff Patton