From: discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of
Jennifer R Vignone
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 11:42 AM
To: disc...@ixda.org
Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] Are We The Puppet Masters? The Ethics of
IxD.

"Influence" and "coerce" are different in that coerce has the notion of
force associated with its meaning.
Advertising may influence but I don't think it coerces.
Would you fall into submission so easily to a commercial?
What is "maximum persuasion"?
I think people are influenced as much as they allow.
"Persuade" implies using an argument or reasoning, hopefully backed by
fact, which is not necessarily "influence" or "coercion".
There are usability issues with how words are being switched which
confounds this discussion.