Hi Jared,
Thanks for the kind wishes!

I read that to mean that you equated direct control to influencing behavior.
> When you get a chance, can you explain the difference?

To be honest this is a gray line, but here are my thoughts. When you
influence someone's behavior there is always the choice available to do the
unexpected, or undesirable. You can place the up selling section in the
most optimal position on an e-commerce site, but the customer can always
choose to ignore it. Control is simply the absence of that choice. I always
use supermarkets in the US as an example of controlling their customers
behavior. On average, the most common thing people want when going to a
supermarket is milk. The managers know this, and put it as far away as
possible from the entrance, forcing customer to walk past other products.
Customer just don't have the choice to by-pass other products, and their
path is controlled by the store (to a certain extent).

Can you give an example of when designers take that choice away? I'm still
> not seeing the difference clearly to understand what the debate is

The one off the top of my head is the above supermarket one. Another would
be what Sony did a few years with the Rootkit scandal. Someone made the
decision to have this get installed on customer's computers without letting
them know about it or opting in or out of its installation. There was no
influencing going on here, just wrong doing(in my opinion)

Thanks!

Brad