I think this is a big point.

On Aug 16, 2009, at 7:33 PM, Diana Wynne wrote:
Rollovers are subtle but discoverable.

Not that they're subtle and not that one can find them - no, the big point is that they're 'discoverable'.

That word is important, because I think Diana hit on something: the redesign requires one to linger and explore and take it all in.

It is most certainly -not- ecommerce, and I don't even think they were going for quick information news. Heck if you want that, go to any RSS reader.

No, what they've created here is the same sensation one gets while sipping a cup of coffee and watching the sun sneak into the kitchen in the morning while browsing through the paper. Except this time on a laptop. Same coffee, same kitchen, same morning sunrise. Same reading sensation. Different medium.

Kudos latimes.com, kudos.