In addition to doing the design in my group, I'm also responsible for most
of the HTML/CSS -- so I'll know immediately if something's not implemented
to spec.

But that fundamental designer-developer chasm remains.  We've developed a
technology called Clickframes that lets me spec out our web apps with a
simple XML syntax.  In addition to my usual visual design work, I define the
full interactivity of the application, and then the developers can generate
their foundational MVC code directly from the Clickframes XML spec.  When
changes to the design occur -- as they always do -- I simply update the
spec, and the developers regenerate the affected portions of their code.
We're always in sync.

I need to be very thorough with the spec, but we've significantly decreased
the number of design-to-development mishaps since implementing Clickframes.

See http://www.clickframes.org/ -- it's still in "preview release" mode, so
we're happy to get as much feedback as possible.

-Jon