On Aug 26, 2009, at 11:30 AM, dave malouf wrote:

Have people seen this company called Modu?
they have an interesting take on all this:
http://modumobile.com/

They've got an interesting story for sure. I wonder how successful they'll be against bigger players like Apple though.

I've brought up the idea a few times with people I know over at Apple about how what I want is my iPhone to slide or dock into the spot where the current trackpad is, and use the iPhone as a touch based input on my laptop to replace the trackpad. Basically make my iPhone an integral part of my laptop when I'm at my desk, where the iPhone brings me a touch I/O to my computer instead of having to make the entire computer screen a touch-based model.

You can also do more interesting things like what was on display at TED with the blocks mini-computers, only here the laptop and the iPhone talk to each other to create computer-to-computer interactions that make sense in a working environment, using both screens for unique things not possible currently. Then when I head home, I undock the iPhone and have all my data and personal stuff on it already and can use it as I do today. By docking the iPhone to your laptop in this fashion, you get nice benefits like it can auto-sync and get recharged. It can also store all my application keys and prefs so when I change laptops, I don't have to reinstall and reconfigure my tools like the Creative Suite or Mail or iTunes.

Whenever I mention this sort of idea, I get the typical sly wink and smile from Apple people. Even my good friends there have become part of the cult of secrecy. Frustration!

Anyway, once Apple and other computer manufacturer's do this kind of stuff, which I imagine is probably within the next five years, I think it might put some of these other companies out of business. Guess we'll see.

--
Andrei Herasimchuk

Chief Design Officer, Involution Studios
innovating the digital world

e. and...@involutionstudios.com
c. +1 408 306 6422