On Aug 29, 2009, at 3:54 AM, Ali Naqvi wrote:

the execution of User Centered Design done the RIGHT way will
guarantee success. Atleast this is what I believe.

Hi Ali,

It's a nice belief. A little tautological, but a nice belief none the less.

However, there's a lot of evidence that suggests its not true.

The biggest problem is that there are too many definitions of "User Centered Design" and that there's no definition of "User Centered Design done the RIGHT way." (Can you show me examples of User Centered Design done the WRONG way?)

From a philosophical point of view, it's what we might call "motherhood and apple pie" to say that design that takes the user into account is always going to trump design that doesn't.

However, great user satisfaction is not the only variable in a product's success. There are many documented instances of great products that satisfied users from companies that couldn't stay in business.

Many companies do
design great products without a UCS approach, I believe that these
products can improve and become even better with a UCD approach.

Ok. I'm glad you believe that. I don't share those beliefs.

If you are an UC Designer its obligatory for you to stress the
importance of users satisfaction. Why else be in the game?

First, I don't know what a UC Designer is. (One of the fascinating things about people who are proponents of "user centered design" is that almost none of what they talk about is "design.")

Second, this isn't an issue of whistleblowing or standing up to management and telling them they have it all wrong.

A good design is only a good design if it helps the business. There are many instances where making a design that is more desirable in the marketplace will be disruptive and significantly help the business. (Despite the offshoot of this thread, there's no denying that the iPhone has changed the mobile phone game, delivering record sales and satisfying many of its customers. The big difference between the iPhone and competitors from market leaders Motorola, Nokia, LG, Samsung, and RIM is its design.)

There are also many instances where no amount of good design would improve the success of the business, either in the short term or the long term. In those instances, if it harms the company to do so, isn't it the responsibility of the employee to protect the interests of the company?

If one wants to be a great designer, one has to learn to assess the constraints one is working within and understand when one can creatively design around them and when one has to adhere to them.

But all this philosophy is irrelevant. This thread started because you were looking for advice.

As David suggested earlier, if you're not happy with the approach your boss is taking, I'd recommend you find a new position at a company that appreciates the same values you do. Right now, good designers are in high demand all over the world. If you believe you're a good designer, there's no reason to spend time pushing on a string, trying to explain to your management how they have it all wrong. You will only become frustrated and won't affect change.

I'd recommend you find a job somewhere that thinks the same way you do.

Jared