UCD, Agile or whatever the next process that comes into fashion
(FrAgile?), my concern is that these processes may stagnate
innovation. In all I've read about UCD, largely neglected is how a
UCD process helps foster innovation or creativity.

UCD processes are structural, cognitive frameworks for advancing a
product from abstract specifications to a concrete form; they provide
constraints that streamline and focus decision making. But the
procedures are not necessarily the only vehicle for creation of a
product, nor do they guarantee the right level of ideation/creativity
that can lead to innovation and product success. And there's no proof
that a product won't succeed if UCD isn't followed.

I find I'm more interested in the principals from which the UCD
process was derived rather than strict adherence to UCD as the only
way to apply those principals. I simply can't picture UCD as _the_
means for product innovation - after all, isn't innovation a process
in and of itself?