Dave,

Most of your list truly represent the way I approach design.  Coming from an
Architecture background, terms like "holistic", "contextual", "inclusive",
"viable" represent key values in an architect's endeavor.  The same apply to
Industrial design and the like.

I wonder what is your perspective about aesthetics.  Here is mine:  I think
software provides the ideal, flexible canvas in which we can resolve the
classic "form vs function" dilemma.  Aesthetics can be a functional asset
just as the mechanisms where it lays.  It can be used to ensure and
reinforce usability decisions.  Aesthetics, through its semiotic vehicles
(connotation and denotation) triggers cognitive functions in our minds
(mental models).

A "beautiful" interface that does not work becomes "ugly".  I am with you
100% on giving aesthetics the relevance that some "usability gurus" try to
diminish.  I just think that aesthetics can be a vehicle of usability.

Gilberto