But what Designers do IS magic! That act of synthesis towards craft
towards implementation is a wondrous magical thing once turned into a
Palm Pre or HP NetBook Mini that brings new areas of delight that were
never there before.

What's wrong with magic? What's wrong with the unexplained? Or the
secretly explained (LIKE MAGIC!). Yes, I know there are issues in the
business case of "the blackbox", but that issue can be handled in
other ways.

But that magical blackbox that can create a BMW 750i or a VW Beetle.
The car itself is a great example. There are few if any "functional
usability" issues any longer in the automobile, but in design it is
the marriage of market speak with that unique piece of magic that is
all the difference.

Now to your other point about "intention" ... we agree. Yes
STARTING w/ the intention or at least passing through intention as a
core driver (sometimes the start of the process is the discover of
intention) is definitely required. You can't do good design w/o it.

I think the Starck example is bleh. It is an art piece. But I think
Don in the book took an example of mine that I offered during
research about my Toyota Celica (2001). It was an awesome machine. I
loved it. It had no horsepower (I'm cheap and broke) and offered no
real luxuries, but I LOVED IT! I felt like I was in a SciFi space
ship. The designer and I both looked at THAT shape and said it means
ZOOM! Someone else (many) looked at that shape and said, "WTF!?!"
But for me, "ZOOM!"

This is another important characteristic, is that the focus on a
"single product winner" is almost an impossibiity. Even though the
iPhone is acclaimed there are many who will NEVER buy it. It's
closed system, w/ no keyboard is just preventative. I know others who
even hate the way it looks. This is why most companies have multiple
devices. Even Apple has 4 versions of the iPod each with
disctintiveness of their own. Heck Toyota (in all their brands) has
over 30 different models.

Anyway, again, it is about balance just up to that last point of
choosing your checks. Thanx for offering that Jared!

-- dave