I've had luck with Amazon gift certificates for remote usability
testing or user interviews. It's super easy to fulfill via email and
you can buy anything there, so it's almost like cash. I've had a
great response rate with these and the participants almost always
show up. A caveat that I do work with non-profits and sometimes
participants show up b/c of the cause and not necessarily the
incentive. I'd be interested to know if they work as well for
others.

Lacey Kruger
Senior Interactive Architect
Convio, Inc.