Hi All,

I’m an American doing a graduate program in Interaction Design in Australia
and I was hoping to get some advice on what I should do with my American
winter (Australian summer) to be prepared for the “real world” of
Interaction Design.

Interaction design is obviously an incredibly broad discipline.  The skills
I’m most interested in mastering are those related to designing new
interfaces or designing new user processes (like checking in at the airport
for example).  My problem is that I’m really having trouble narrowing down
US companies/ opportunities/ internships that would help me get into that
when I graduate.

2 things I’d love some pointers on:

   1. What is the best thing a budding Interaction Designer can do with 3
   months of free time and a willingness to work hard and live simply?
   2. My goal is to really get involved in interface or process design
   (though I’m flexible) any advice on how I should go about contacting people
   / startups / HR departments?

Thanks so much for your time,

Chris Bierbower