@Jared:

What you're describing is a situation in which you'd fully implement remote,
unobtrusive testing into an overall test plan. That is not really how I have
used it (and I did not mean to imply that this is how I use it). I'm still
experimenting a bit, but with several clients I have asked them (not me) to
install Userfly for some period of time. Afterward, I pop in and randomly
pick a few (sometimes the longer ones) and look for anything that jumps out
as being interesting.

One memorable example is a conversion point (in the form of a button-looking
thing) that was sitting near the top of a longer-ish page. The Userfly
recordings I watched showed practically everyone, after they would reach the
page, scrolling past the conversion point and not going back to it. Before
we had conducted a formal user test, we were able to show our client a major
problem point (they were impressed with the turnaround time for feedback).
This finding allowed us to focus formal testing time on that page, which I
thought was really cool.

Would we have found the problem through heuristic analysis? Probably. With
formalized user testing? Definitely. But knowing (from observation of real
users) where the problem was allowed us to spend more time coming up with
recommendations to remedy it.

@Harry

See above example on how I have used Userfly to create a better formal
testing plan.

I think you're absolutely right that it depends on the context. If a
business client has a conversion point that's not meeting expectations, I
think unobtrusive observation can help there. And as you point out, it's
also a great way to show newcomers to user research (in many cases, clients)
some user perspective.