On Oct 13, 2009, at 5:03 AM, Thomas Petersen wrote:

My problem with the current state of usability testing is that it most often test in pseudo environments that tell you more about the quality of your mock-up than of any finished product/service.

This is a methodology issue, not an issue with usability testing. If that's how your testing is done then change it. If you don't like the way it's conducted, then change it. It's up to you.

What happens often is that those responsible for the usability tests provides their findings to the designers but that there is no actual transcendence from the usability testing phase into the actual design and development phase.

Again, this sounds more like a failure of a design process than usability testing. If your process is broken (and by your, I mean collectively, not you specifically Thomas) then fix it.

What you're talking about is a design problem. There is a problem with the design process that doesn't incorporate research findings into the designs. This is a design problem—the design of the process. It's really an opportunity to fix it.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
Principal Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  t...@messagefirst.com
AIM:    twar...@mac.com