The category pages might be useful for casual, "What else is there?"
browsing. I recommend skipping them, because you can support this behavior
from the target page.

If you decide to skip building category pages, incorporate categories in
breadcrumbs. For instance:
 Home > Sports: Windsurfing

--
Oleh Kovalchuke