I can't believe some of the commentary on this thread.  The overwhelming
problems of software in the modern world are as a result of whats going on
in this thread!  Specifically the problems are

1) *There are many people (product managers) writing functional specs where
the contents are disconnected pieces of "abstract feature stuff."*  For
example, the user says "I need to do xyz so that i can meet this goal" and
the product manager says ok "let's add a button that let's the user do xyz."
  XYZ is never really designed, with more than a casual thought.   Whether
XYZ is the best way to meet the users goal is only mildly considered, maybe
there was a UVW way to do it which wasnt a button at all.  Neither XYZ nor
UVW are really drawn out visually, nor tied together in an end to end
scenario, and without that even nobody internally really knows how XYZ will
behave in the milliseconds after you click it, nor think through how xyz and
abc - an older feature- or zyx another new feature -  may conflict.  If a
user was consulted ("is that what you said? you wanted a button for xyz?")
they will nod their head, because at no point in time is the experience
actually illustrated to the user!  So they are imagining something that
doesn't even exist, which ding ding ding, they can't do and neither can
anyone else!   This is the most dangerous product design process known to
man!   There is no design!  Just features!   We all march along in
agreement, but we all are almost 100% imaging different physical
implementations!

2) *There aren't actual trained interaction designers researching,
prototyping and detailing the interaction design of the product!  * Without
people who can do this, and yes these people must understand how to help
dovetail with dev constraints, many projects fail to deliver an experience.
 They may make the check on the functional spec, but they aren't designed
for all of the soft qualities of experience - learnability, findability,
discoverability, usability, pleasure, beauty!

If the world is going to see that design means something - and that there
are people who do it and have skill in it - we have to deconstruct the
mythology around this.

*> In the end, all that matters is an effective product. *

True but this seems to suggest there is no connection between the process
and the result.  How many bad mp3 player companies after their functional
spec was written and dev started rolling forward were suddenly going to push
out an iPod?   What if all that matters is having a design that people love
and then going to the ends of the earth executing on it.  Ya of course we
will have to make hard decisions along the way because of technology and
schedule.

*- Responding to change over following a plan*

Absolutely worthless statement.   If you had an abstract non specific plan
then it is going to change because it isn't a fleshed out plan (only a rough
suggestion), and the statement is tautological.  But if your plan was
something marvelous and very tangible, then changes are just what you have
to do to achieve that marvelous outcome.

*I just discovered some behaviors this past week...there were no "artifacts"
discussing them.*

That is normal for most companies.  Things get built haphazard and you hope
for the best.  Some of what gets built is useful but is impossible for users
to find it, so those code paths never get tested and of course in the
abstract functional spec its not there.  I assure you interaction designers
do need to exist to focus on the behaviors across the feature set, across
all the buttons, across all of the user paths.

Finally, I know this is a big leap of faith because many have not seen a
good interaction design process in action, so you're used to walking along a
vague set of inputs and then waiting for unknown outputs of the process.
 Inevitably though, these people are all in agreement that if* they were
funding* the project out of pocket they would expect to see a specific plan
on what the product is going to look like and how users will use it *before
*the development started.

Navid