The first time I saw saw "infinite scroll" implemented on a large
scale was in a July 2006 preview when Microsoft's Phil Holden,
director of Windows Live, previewed the September 2006 launch of a
whole suite of Windows Live tools as Microsoft transitioned from MSN.

Windows Live Image Search was that implementation (what Ariel
referred to as the new Bing image search). In relatively small sets
of results infinite scroll can be tolerable and even useful. In any
sizable set it is undesirable for the reasons other commenters have
mentioned above.

Usability issues with infinite scroll include:

- the lack of affordance makes it difficult for many people to scan
or assess content using the heuristics that they expect
- one usually loses the long page upon reloading it
- it is the visual equivalent of the "lost in hyperspace"
phenomenon that most people experienced in the early days of the Web
before the prevalence of good search engines -- in most cases, no
context is bad.

Chad mentioned the variations of infinite scroll on Facebook and
Twitter. I'll be interested to see how behaviour changes as Facebook
in particular shapes it along with interaction design paradigms and
expectations of hundreds of millions of people.

Finally, I direct you to a similar IxDA list discussion I remembered
from almost 2 years ago:

Continuous Scroll
http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=25287

-K